Saturday, April 26, 2008

Unexpected impressions

One day has already passed and yesterday evening I had no energy left for any post... And the thing I can say is - WOW! I just love being here! I had so many impressions, that they are overthrilling me. So step-by-step:
1. If I feel save while walking on the streets of EU cities, I feel unsave while walking yesterday. Ok, during the rush hours, it's ok. But the morning and evening - you better don't wanna feel it. Some people trying to ask smth about my camera, somebody standing in the middle of the street and talking with a truck, some black guys with dread and black coat... Overall, in SF there is plenty of poor people on the streets.
2. The first thing I needed to do was to get some cash. Banks didn't offer such service and I was sent to some other 'window', where for 200 eu I was offered 215 $. Do I look that stupid?! So I was asked then how much do I pay :D At the end I got 285 $ offer. But I thought maybe it's better to use ATM (bank machines in USA). Probably they won't cheat :)
3. And lastly, here is a heaven for shopping... I am telling that! I can't image better place for that! You can fing everything you want and at the same time you get super-duper-pupper client service! They are ready to do for you many many things... Just like when you try some shoes on you, they bring you not only other sizes, but also other similar models, that you might like! Also, I did fin a shop I liked really a lot... I haven't any that I would like for about 3 years. Ok, it wasn't dirty cheap as many here ca be, but then I found out that it's from Europe, the designer is from Paris and he's making clothes that his wife would wear. And they are cool :) So I got the pant that are tooo long for me and asked like: what do you offer me to do with that?! And answer was amazing: we don't do this kind of job, but just over the coner there is a tailoring shop, they can do this cheap and maybe even today. So they called them, told that I will come, explained how to get there, left a number of contacts for me not to get lost - that was something! And at the end, when came to the tailor (after 1,5 hour, had met some guy from Israel who was offering me cosmetics :) ), it appeared that tailors are russians, who came from Moldovia about 11 years ago. So they made me a discount as I am russian and left phone number that I could call the girl after her work as they were extremely bussy that moment. The atmosphere there I liked the most, it was real work atmosphere, you could find only needed things for their job to do, nothing else. I can't remember when I saw something like that.
3. So, the guy from Israel... he lives here almost all his life, but his roots are from Europe and Israel. Yeah, we had a nice long chat :) And lots of cosmetics to discover! At the end I got invited to go out with him in the late evening, about 12, but I knew that's will be impossible after a whole day of walking. But that was a nice experience :)
4. When I came here, I spotted that I forgot my special face cream.. And I knew that without it it'll be hard to survive. Buying here something like that was an option, so I found a place with a good choice. The idea that came to my mind when I found, was from the american movie "Friends with money" with Jennifer Aniston (it appears I like her a lot). There she is a poor girl and has to survive. So for the cosmetics, she walked to the stores, talked to sellers about different products and asked for a sample. And so she walked through a number of stores. I did pretty much the same - asked for several samples :)) I didn't pay 40$!
5. Also, I got a heircut! As I was fed up with a long hair and in France it really costs (about 40 eu), I though maybe I should try. So all day long was asking all people I meet about it. Nobody knew as lived outside the city. But when I was wolking near China Town, I spotted small salon wth chinese girls. The price was 24 $. Fair enough... then I traded for 20 $ and got pretty good service and a nice results :) Oh that chip chinese work power... just like from american movies! :D
6. And short but funny-stupid story. I was also searching for infrared filter for my camera. China Town is a good place to search, I thought. At one place I searched, I got a statement: "do you need it for your camera? It suites only for video camera as DSLR has no night photos option." It was kinda Wow... At the end I thought: I am in America and this is an evidence!

And this is still not everything I could tell... Continue with pictures:


American truck, San Francisco


The guy talking to a truck (maybe early morning could explain this..)


Enterance to the China Town


Chinese shop


"Apple world" shop


After the work, Union square


Police car


...which cam for some guys. Actually, 3 police cars.


Bay bridge in the evening

4 comments:

sleepless said...

"I feel save while walking on the streets of EU cities" EU -> Lithuania -> Kaunas... How do you fell now walking in EU cities :P

Liolik said...

Some of my colleage (italian) is traveling there next week for the conferece. Maybe I should ask him about him impressions :D

Anonymous said...

((: jega reportazas!
o kokia nauja shukuosena? pageidauju lioliko dangoraiziu fone [:

Liolik said...

Shukuose sena, tik 10 comu trumpesne. Anyway, uz menesio pati pamatysi gi ;)